Here’s How to Create a Skincare Routine for All Skin Types!
‘All skin types’, we said. So, just how many are there? As many individuals, it wouldn’t be a wrong assumption since each person’s skin is the result of very personal factors such as genetics, lifestyle, and more. But for easy understanding and a standard approach to skincare, five key types broadly fit most of us.
Normal, Dry, Oily, Combination, and, Sensitive. That’s enough to understand and work out a simple routine for ourselves. Matching our skin to these five types is neither rocket science nor does it need a lab test. Let’s look at simple skincare routines that suit all skin types and call out special care for particular types.
For anything to become routine, it must be simple and suited to our lifestyles. Anything else will get into a start-stop mode, which is neither recommended nor healthy. It can cause damage. First, let’s start from the inside with a simple healthy diet that’s easy to follow. What we send inside our bodies impacts how our skin looks, feels, and behaves.
Diet Plays an Important Role
A plant-based diet can do wonders for your skin, clearing acne and adding a glow. Reduce sugar intake and consume dairy products in moderation. Grab all the healthy fats from walnuts, chia seeds, flaxseeds, soy, canola oil, avocados, and oily fish. Its collagen keeps your skin supple. Add collagen-boosting veggies of all colours to your daily plate. Carrots, tomatoes, avocados, sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, beans, bell peppers, gourds, and pumpkins are both good and tasty. So, get those veggies, nuts, and fish on the table.
The most important part of your intake needs to be clean, plain water. Stay hydrated always. And, treat yourself on and off to some dark chocolate and a glass of good red wine to keep your spirits high. It reflects on your skin. Yes, really.
Creating Your Routine
Now that we’ve fixed the foundation from the inside, let’s move to our simple skincare routine from the outside. A few basic steps demand just ten or more minutes of your day and can make a world of difference. These are common to all skin types. What you use in each of these steps may vary slightly. But first steps first:
- Yes. The good old-fashioned wash your face routine that grandma had. Only, now with our changing lifestyles, polluted environment, and free radicals that Grandma wouldn’t have heard of, cleansing too has come of age everywhere. So, pick your cleanser to suit your skin type.
- For dry or sensitive skin, don’t grab a foam cleanser. Get cream cleansers. They hydrate as they cleanse. Harsh soaps tend to dry out even normal skin.
- If your skin is oily, get deep cleansing foam gels. They will remove grime and oil easily.
- Don’t exfoliate too often, using store-bought or kitchen remedies. Exfoliation causes micro-tears and may infect acne-prone skin.
- Once a week, steam, deep cleanses, and apply toner or mask to soothe your skin.
Often the most forgotten or even unknown step in a skincare routine, toning is essential to balance the natural oils and soothe the pores of your skin.
- Choose toners with natural soothing ingredients like tea tree oil, chamomile, mint, etc. These astringents help clear grime, clean and close pores, and soothe the skin.
- You need to supplement the moisture on your skin with a protective layer of a good moisturizer.
- For normal or oily skin types, pick a water-based moisturizer.
- Dry skin needs some extra pampering with an oil-based moisturizer.
- If you have sensitive skin, you should go fragrance-free and pick products with natural soothing ingredients. Nothing harsh on sensitive skin, especially nothing that has acid content. Even lime.
You can also check out these tips on how to maintain healthy hair at home!
Never be embarrassed to wear hats or carry umbrellas. Sunglasses serve a purpose more than style. To get back to skincare, make sun protection a part of your simple routine. Wherever we live or roam, there’s always the damage the unseen UV rays can cause. Beyond tanning and burning, UV rays can damage your skin.
A good sunscreen with the right SPF balance for your weather is the last mile defence you cannot ignore. Put it on.
None of these basic steps will take more than fifteen minutes, done daily. Starting today, eat right and get into a mindful skincare routine. Keep it simple and see your skin glow.
Last but not least, there’s a reason we get professional facials done from time to time. The massaging techniques, thorough cleansing and toning with soothing masks to finish are not a luxury. They could be essential treats that complement our simple skincare routine. Get yours soon; naturally, at your nearest Naturals salon. Book your appointment today!